Company Code Request Instructions
NECA assigns all company codes based on ATIS-0300251.2007, Codes for Identification of Service Providers for Information Exchange, and the North American Company Code Assignment Procedures.
Please review the following information carefully and proceed to the request form by clicking on "Company Code Request Form" at the bottom of the screen.
To complete the request form, you must indicate the type of telecommunication service your company provides by selecting the correct category. We recommend that you contact your interconnecting company for help in determining the correct category. If the service provided by your company is not listed, please contact us (contact information listed below).
IMPORTANT – Please review your company code request form before submitting it. Please note that the category and operating state can not be changed after the company code has been assigned.
|Competitive Access Providers||CAP|
|Facilities Based Competitive Local Exchange Carriers||CLEC|
|Interexchange Carrier (Long Distance - carriers and resellers)||IC|
|Internet Protocol Enabled Services||IPES|
|Local Exhange Resellers (non-facilities based)||LRSL|
|Personal Communication Service (Broadband, Narrowband)||PCS|
|Unbundled Local Exchange Carriers (UNE/UNE-P)||ULEC|
|Wireless Carrier (Paging, Beeper, Cellular, etc)||WIRE|
In accordance with the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS) Industry Number Committee (INC), only the following Company Code categories are permissible for direct assignment of numbering resources (CO codes, thousands-blocks, 5XX-NXX, 9YY-NXX and p-ANI) from NANPA or the PA:
|• Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier||ILEC|
|• Regional Bell Operating Company||RBOC|
|• Competitive Local Exchange Carrier||CLEC|
|• Personal Communications Service||PCS|
|• Unbundled Local Exchange Carrier||ULEC|
|• Wireless Carriers||WIRE|
|• Internet Provider Enabled Services||IPES (only permitted with an FCC waiver)|
For category definitions, please see the North American Company Code Glossary.
For a new ILEC code, please download the Incumbent Company Code Request Form.
For a new International code, please download the International Company Code Request Form.
To request a New Company Code Category, please download the
New Category Request Form.
The following documentation is required to obtain a Company Code:
- Legal document (e.g., Articles of Incorporation with State seal or stamp, State Registration, etc.) as proof of existence and to reflect the telecommunication service provider's legal name.
- For CLEC, ULEC, Competitive Access Provider, and Local Reseller service: A copy of the certification by the state Public Utilities Commission.
- For Interexchange Carrier: Documents may vary from state to state. A copy of the State Public Utilities Commission's approval is required when the State Commission regulates the Interexchange carrier/reseller service. If the service is not regulated
by the State Commission, the required document may vary, so please contact us (contact information listed below).
- For ETHX: Proof of service and customers, e.g., contractual agreements with customers and a detailed description of the service including the areas where the service will be provided.
- For IPES: Proof of service and customers, e.g., interconnection agreement (or evidence of an interconnection order pursuant to an approved tariff) and contractual agreements with end-user customers. Or, regulatory administration approval, if applicable.
- For Wireless or PCS service: A copy of the company's FCC radio/PCS license.
- For Wireless and PCS Resellers: A copy of the interconnection agreement with the wireless carrier.
NECA assigns all Company Codes and charges a one time administrative fee per company code. NECA offers two types of processing:
- $375 per code
- Codes are assigned within 10 business days from the receipt of all required documentation, including payment.
- $500 per code
- Codes are assigned within 3 business days from the receipt of all required documentation, including payment.
Effective September 1, 2015 the fee per code to change the legal company name associated with a Company Code is $30. There is no fee associated with changing contact information. Company Codes are assigned on a first-come first-served basis. Company Code confirmation letters will be faxed or e-mailed within 10 business days from the receipt of all required documentation for standard processing or within 3 business days for express processing.
Carriers operating as Competitive Local Exchange Carriers (CLEC) or Unbundled Local Exchange Carriers (ULEC) in multiple states will receive one Company Code per category, per legal entity, per state, plus an overall code. There is no charge for an overall code. Competitive Access Providers, ETHX, Interexchange Carriers, IPES, Local Resellers, PCS, PCS Resellers, Wireless, and Wireless Resellers are assigned one nationwide company code.
All Company Code requests and changes to the legal company name of a Company Code must be paid for in advance. Please note that NECA does not issue invoices for the assignment of a Company Code or for changes to legal company names.
Payments can be made by:
- Credit card: NECA will send you an e-mail with a PayPal link for making the credit card payment after you submit your Company Code application and the application review is completed.
Please do not send any credit card information through e-mail.
- Check/money order made payable to "NECA"
(please state the company name on the memo line)
Checks/money orders along with a copy of your Company Code Request Form can be sent to:
PO Box 2003
Hicksville, NY 11802
Payments by ACH or Wire Transfer:
ABA Transit: 021407912
Company Codes that have been assigned are not eligible for a refund.
Fees received for code requests when codes have not yet been assigned will be refunded upon request.
All refunds will be made by the same method in which the funds were received. For example, if you paid by credit card, NECA will refund the monies as a credit to the same credit card.
Prior to submitting your Company Code order, please review all your Company Code application documents. Company codes, including company contact information, are made available to the industry. This contact information may also be sold to customers of NECA who purchase lists of company codes assigned to telecommunications providers.
To order a Company Code, please provide all required documentation, the completed Company Code Request Form and the payment to:
Company Code Administrator
60 Columbia Road
Building A - 2nd Floor
Morristown, NJ 07960
Documents may be sent via mail or fax or e-mail.
If you have any questions, call us at 973-884-8105, fax us at 973-993-1063 or send us an e-mail at email@example.com.