A look back and forward for access services
The new year offers each of us a chance to reflect on what we have accomplished in the past 12 months and plan what we want to accomplish next. NECA staff is no different when it comes to strategizing for new tariff offerings and changes to existing offerings.
Our 2018 initiatives:
- Introduced a new Ethernet Transport Service Fixed Rate Option, which provides stabilized monthly rates for all ETS customers and retention of the same rate level when bidding multi-year contracts.
- Simplified the ETS real time and non-real time class of service/quality of service rate structure to apply a single per-Mbps rate across all speed options rather than the 16 rates we previously had for both intra and inter-switch Ethernet Virtual Connections.
- Modified the one-way ETS Multi-Media Virtual Circuit Channel total transmission capacity for an Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line to no greater than 1 Gbps, providing consistency between the one-way and two-way ETS MM-VCCs.
- Removed the requirement specifying two-way ETS MM-VCCs are only available for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line/Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line services with capacities of 10 Mbps or greater, allowing higher speeds to be provided on copper facilities.
- Introduced a 500 Mbps ordering increment to the ETS bandwidth add-on optional feature on speeds of 1 Gbps, 2.5 Gbps and 5 Gbps, which allows a customer to go from 5 Gbps to 6 Gbps without having to purchase the next available tariffed speed of 10 Gbps.
- Added seven new ETS speeds - 200 Mbps, 300 Mbps, 400 Mbps, 600 Mbps, 700 Mbps, 800 Mbps and 900 Mbps - to more precisely meet requirements of requests for proposals for ETS backhaul applications.
As a NECA pool member, if you haven’t taken advantage of some of these services, the opportunity remains to do so. Please contact your region office with questions.
As the clock ticks on into 2019, look for these strategies:
- A new ETS E-rate option offering to help serve schools, libraries and educational consortium with lower ETS rates.
- Higher ETS speeds at 100 Gbps and 200 Gbps to provide faster services due to the demands of streaming media.
- A 2019 ETS Fixed Rate Option.
- Potential tariffing of an ETS Low Bit Rate Virtual Circuit Channel to be used over a consumer broadband line.
In addition to our tariff filings, we anticipate introducing tools to augment Tariff F.C.C. No. 5 in ways to help price out ETS and other special access services circuits quickly and easily. Stay tuned, folks!