October 21, 2019 - REGScan
- The FCC issued the agenda for its October 25, 2019 Open Meeting. The FCC will consider seven items, including an order on reconsideration on CAF testing procedures and performance measures that provides flexibility for smaller carriers by making targeted modifications to the testing procedures carriers must use to show their networks perform at the Commission’s speed and latency standards. The order also addresses several petitions for reconsideration and applications for review of the 2018 Performance Measures Order.
- The State Members of the Federal-State Joint Board on Universal Service released a recommended decision on revising the contribution mechanism for federal universal service programs. They recommended the FCC expand the contribution base to include broadband internet access service and adopt a connections-based assessment on residential services and an expanded revenues-based assessment on business services, among other things.
- NTCA, WTA, and ITTA, USTelecom, WISPA, et al. offered suggestions on the draft order on reconsideration on network testing.
- NTCA, et al. expressed support for West River’s petition for waiver of the July 17, 2019 due date for providing notification to the FCC regarding A-CAM II elections.
- PRA comments due December 16, 2019, on a revision of a currently approved information collection associated with the urban rates survey.
October 14, 2019 - REGScan
- The FCC authorized CAF Phase II support for 387 winning bids identified in attachment A of the public notice.
- The FCC issued notices of apparent liability for forfeiture against providers who were winning bidders in CAF Phase II Auction 903, but withdrew their applications for support before receiving their award.
- WTA, et al. discussed concerns with the draft order on reconsideration on network testing, noting the draft order rejects most of the small carrier alternatives that had been advanced. NTCA offered suggestions on the draft orderon network testing.
- Reply comments were filed on the second further notice of proposed rulemaking on enhancing the new Digital Opportunity Data Collection, incorporating mobile voice and broadband, and improving satellite broadband reporting.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced it is investing $152 million in 20 projects to provide or improve rural broadband service in 14 states.
October 7, 2019 - REGScan
- The FCC issued a tentative agenda for its October 25, 2019 Open Meeting. The FCC will consider six items, including an order on reconsideration on CAF testing procedures and performance measures that provides flexibility for smaller carriers. The order also addresses several petitions for reconsideration and applications for review of the 2018 Performance Measures Order. Chairman Pai posted a blog on the Open Meeting items, including the CAF testing item.
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia issued an opinion, granting in part and denying in part petitions for review of the 2018 Restoring Internet Freedom order.
- The FCC announced it is ready to authorize CAF Phase II Auction 903 support for the 566 winning bids identified in Attachment A of the public notice. Applicants are required to submit irrevocable standby letter(s) of credit and Bankruptcy Code opinion letter(s) by October 15, 2019.
- NTIA announced the release of a new National Broadband Availability Map pilot.
- Great Lakes Communication, Northern Valley Communications, et al. filed a petition for stay of the report and order that adopted reforms to eliminate access arbitrage schemes.
- Comments are due October 23, 2019, on TrioTel’s petition for a waiver to implement the merger of affiliated rate-of-return study areas in South Dakota by modifying its 2011 interstate switched access revenue requirement and 2011 rate-of-return carrier Base Period Revenue. Replies are due November 4, 2019.